Environment and Water Advocacy Paper 2018

  

While water is a finite resource, the demand for water is infinite as it is a basic necessity for human survival. Unfortunately, due to several factors including natural disasters, inefficient resource management system, population growth, among others, available water supply continuously decreases in the country. According to the Environmental Management Bureau (EMB), out of the sampled 127 freshwater sources, only 47% proved to have satisfactory water quality while the remaining 53% showed fair to poor water quality. Domestic wastewater contributed 33% to the total water pollution in 2016, followed by agriculturallivestock wastewater at 29% and industrial wastewater at 27% in Metro Manila. Only 10% of the country’s wastewater is reported to have received primary treatment prior to being discharged in water bodies.

 

PARTNER CHAMBERS IN THE PHILIPPINES